Most rugby players will have sustained some form of injury in their career or most likely have caused one. Products such as protective clothing, first aid kits and the correct taping and strapping can help minimise the risk or even prevent injury.
This list has been carefully selected from knowledge and experience gained from working within the sports industry. The items are in no particular order- they are all as important as the next as they each serve in a different way.
1. Scrum cap. These help reduce the risk of concussion by absorbing the impact of a blow to the head. They also keep the ears safe from blows helping prevent the risk of ‘cauliflower ears’.
2. Padded Shorts. These shorts are great for contact sports such as rugby as they provide strong protection for hips and thighs against tackles. Some are now designed with a cooling technology which draws the heat and moisture away from the body helping it stay cool.
3. Padded Shirts. Like the shorts- the shirts are equipped with the same technology protecting the shoulders, clavicle, upper arms, ribs and sternum by dissipating and absorbing impacts to the body.
4. Mouth Guards. These act like a shock absorbent preventing the force of a knock from damaging the jaw. Some particular guards include a home moulding kit which allows you to take impressions of your teeth which you then send to the manufacturers who create the Mouth Guard to specifically fitting your teeth only.
5. First Aid Kit. Most kits are designed specially to include the right products and the correct amount, depending on the desired level of ability and it is one essential that is definitely needed on the pitch side.
6. Foam and Felt Adhesive. Feet need to be protected just as much as any other part of the body during rugby. Foam and felt adhesive packs are layers of foam or felt which can be cut to size and placed in the boots to prevent rubbing and friction.
7. Instant Ice Packs. These are a great way to produce instant cold relief to reduce swelling and inflammation following an injury. There is no need to freeze before hand and they are simple and easy to use.
8. Sports Tape. There are many different tapes that are essential for rugby. Elastic Adhesive Bandage is used around the thighs as lifting straps. Cohesive Bandage is often wrapped around players’ heads to protect their ears during a scrum and coloured PVC tape is also applied to thighs for added grip for lifts during line outs.
9. Petroleum Jelly. This is a non irritant protective ointment and lubricant. It is used regularly by players during scrums to reduce friction. It is also good for preventing blisters.
10. Triangular Bandage. These are useful following a shoulder/elbow/wrist/arm injury as they are a great way to immobilise the arm straightaway which can reduce the risk of further injury.…